Born out of our years of work fighting Wall Street’s agenda to foreclose on millions of working class, black and brown families across California, ACCE Action continues to fight displacement and make housing affordable through the movement for renter’s rights! In all of our offices, ACCE Action organizes tenants facing rent increases and unjust evictions – and is winning rent control and tenant protections in local jurisdictions across the state.
ACCE Action is also a proud steering committee member of Housing NOW! – a new statewide coalition that is building power to make housing affordable and combat the displacement crisis that is disproportionately impacting working class communities of color. This crisis is not a “natural" accident of the market, but is caused directly by the greed of Wall Street landlords, investors, luxury developers and the bought-out politicians who drive their agenda. Led by tenants, our coalition also includes allied landlords, realtors, and dozens of community, faith and labor organizations. Together our coalition is leading the way to repeal the state restriction on rent control – the Costa Hawkins Rental Housing Act!
- In 2017 alone, ACCE members lobbied for and passed six out of nine priority housing bills, stopped multiple evictions and rent increases from huge Wall Street landlords and pressured them to successfully resolve dozens of unhealthy and unsafe maintenance issues. We have also held five mass town halls in Richmond, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles and San Diego winning commitments from local and state officials to work with us to find meaningful solutions to the housing crisis.
- In 2016, ACCE played a critical role in passing rent control in Richmond, stronger renter protections in Oakland, won infrastructure and housing bonds in San Diego and Los Angeles and defeated real estate special interest campaignsintended to hurt affordable housing in San Francisco!
- Over the past five years, ACCE has defended member’s homes from the predatory practices of Wall Street, with a range of on-the-ground tactics to pressure banks. This work has led to more than 550 families keeping their homes and reducing collective mortgage principal by more than $18.2 million.
Together, ACCE members are tackling the displacement crisis city by city, tenant by tenant. With these victories already under our belt, we are calling on you to keep up the momentum and join the housing justice movement as we seek to:
- Win real rent control for all with the repeal of Costa Hawkins and Proposition 10!
- Reclaim our cities: get more homes off the speculative market and into land trusts
- Hold accountable and regulate Wall Street speculation
- Expand rent control and just cause eviction laws in the state – including repealing the state restriction on rent control, the Costa Hawkins Rental Housing Act
- Strengthen laws to ensure healthy and safe housing
- Increase developer, speculator and Wall Street contributions to affordable housing
Join our Statewide Housing Campaign and sign up below!