Born out of our years of work fighting Wall Street’s agenda to foreclose on millions of families across California, ACCE Action is deeply committed to fighting displacement and building a California where everyone has access to a safe and affordable place to live. In all of our offices, ACCE Action organizes tenants facing rent increases and unjust evictions – and is fighting for rent control policies and tenant protections across the state.
In 2018, ACCE Action played a critical role in advancing rent control across California. Most prominently, we were one of the signatories that put the repeal of Costa Hawkins on the ballot and played a leading role in driving the campaign. We collected tens of thousands of signatures to lead us to a successful ballot qualification and led an effort that contacted nearly a million voters through the election on the phone, doors or via text in support of Proposition 10. While Prop 10 did not pass, the campaign was a vehicle that built tremendous power and support for the housing justice movement - fundamentally altering the landscape in California. While Wall Street landlords outspent us more than 4 to 1 - momentum for rent control is growing. Poll after poll has shown that a majority of California voters support it and it has become an issue that California elected officials have come to realize must be addressed.
On the local level, ACCE Action put two additional rent control and just cause measures on the ballot: in National City and we qualified a ballot initiative in Sacramento for the 2020 election. In National City, despite that the opposition outspent us 10 to 1 to defeat our citizen led initiative, we only lost by an incredibly small margin of just 155 votes.
ACCE Action is also a proud steering committee member of Housing NOW! – a statewide coalition that is building power to make housing affordable and combat the displacement crisis that is disproportionately impacting working class communities of color. Led by tenants, our coalition also includes allied landlords, realtors, and dozens of community, faith and labor organizations.
- In 2017, ACCE members lobbied for and passed six of our priority housing bills, stopped multiple evictions and rent increases from huge Wall Street landlords and pressured them to successfully resolve dozens of unhealthy and unsafe maintenance issues.
- In 2016, ACCE played a critical role in passing rent control in Richmond, stronger renter protections in Oakland, won infrastructure and housing bonds in San Diego and Los Angeles and defeated real estate special interest campaigns intended to hurt affordable housing in San Francisco!
- Over the past five years, ACCE has defended member’s homes from the predatory practices of Wall Street, with a range of on-the-ground tactics to pressure banks. This work has led to more than 550 families keeping their homes and reducing collective mortgage principal by more than $18.2 million.
With this momentum under our belt, we are adding tenants and allies into the housing justice movement as we seek to:
- Protect Tenants: Protecting tenants from displacement and harm with just cause eviction laws and regulation of the abusive practices of Wall Street landlords.
- Preserve Our Homes: Preserving existing affordable housing stock by expanding rent control and expanded code enforcement.
- Produce Affordable Housing: Invest in new deeply affordable housing and make big corporations pay their fair share
Join our Statewide Housing Campaign and sign up below!