Learn Your COVID Eviction Protections

California Eviction Protections during the Covid-19 Pandemic

On January 28, 2021, the California legislature passed Senate Bill (SB) 91 which extended eviction protections which were first passed through AB 3088 in September 2020. The law creates eviction protections for tenants that have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Broadly speaking, tenants who have lost income due to COVID, may not be evicted for non-payment of rent through July 1, 2021.  

Rent debt owed between March 2020 through August 31, 2020 is converted into consumer debt  and can never be the basis for an eviction (if the tenant follows all requirements). The debt is however, collectable through other means such as small claims and regular civil court. However, the landlord may not seek the debt owed until July 1, 2021. 

Tenants who were unable to pay their rent from September 2020- June 30, 2021,are required  to pay at least 25% of their rent from this period before June 30, 2021 in order to avoid eviction. The remaining 75% of rent will be converted to consumer debt. 

Is the Rent Cancelled?

Sort of. SB 91 created a robust rental assistance program for tenants who make less than 80% of the area median income. In many areas, landlords may apply for rental assistance and if they agree to waive 20% of the rent owed, the government will pay the other 80% of the money owed. If they do, then the tenant’s consumer debt for that period will be gone.  

If the landlord refuses the program, a tenant will be able to apply to the same fund for the 25% payment. 

Tenants must provide a signed declaration of COVID-19 related financial distress if given a pay or quit notice by their landlord

If you can’t pay your rent because of the COVID-19 pandemic, your landlord must give you a 15-day notice to pay rent or quit before filing an eviction lawsuit for failure to pay rent.

If you receive a 15-day notice, within 15 days you must give your landlord a signed declaration that says that you cannot pay rent because of COVID-19.

A declaration that complies with the law is available here.

If you give this declaration to your landlord, we recommend sending it by certified mail so that you have evidence that you send it. You should send this declaration to your landlord each time you receive a 15-day notice to pay rent or quit. Make a copy of the declaration after you sign it and keep proof that you sent this notice each time -- like your certified mail receipt.

Paying your Rent

If you owe rent that was due from March 1, 2020 - August 31, 2020: If you return the declaration to your landlord in time, you cannot be evicted for not paying this rent. 

If you owe that was due from September 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021. You will need to pay 25% of the total rent between September 2020 and June 2021 no later than June 30, 2021. The other 75% of rent is converted into consumer debt. You may be able to qualify for a rent assistance program through your city, county, or the state that will pay some or all of your back rent.

If you receive an eviction notice or summons for an eviction lawsuit, or notice to vacate, seek legal help immediately. 

A state rent assistance program will be set up by March 2021. If you were unable to pay rent because of the pandemic, you should apply for funding. Depending on where you live, you will either be able to apply through a local program or through a program administered by the state. 

Other Types of Evictions

State law protects tenants from “no cause” evictions until July 1, 2021. 

Your city or county may also have passed stronger protections than state law for other types of evictions or even for tenants who can’t pay rent. 

Rental Assistance is Here! 

IF YOU’RE A TENANT:

Rent debt you owe could be entirely cancelled if your landlord agrees to participate in the rent relief program, and you can apply for help paying your utilities

  • You may qualify for rent relief funds if you owe rent that you could not pay during the COVID-19 pandemic. A full list of eligibility criteria is available at https://housing.ca.gov/. 
  • Apply online! The application will ask for your landlord’s email address to notify your landlord to fill out their portion.
  • Send this linked letter to your landlord informing them of your rights and explaining that you want them to apply for rental assistance. If your landlord agrees to apply they may receive 80% of the rent that you owe. The remaining 20% will be forgiven. 
  • If your landlord refuses to apply and you qualify, then you can apply for  25% of the rent owed and, as long as you pay your landlord 25% of what you owe and comply with the other requirements, you should never be evicted for the rest - it becomes consumer debt that your landlord can try to collect in small claims court. 

IF YOU’RE A LANDLORD:

You may receive payment of 80% of the rent debt a tenant owes!

  • You can apply online for rent relief if your tenants were unable to pay rent due to covid-19 and they qualify for the program. The application will ask for the tenant’s email address so the tenant can be notified of the application and fill out their portion. The state program will provide 80% of the rent that a tenant owes; you are required to forgive the remaining 20%. 
  • Per the California Apartment Association, landlords “most likely” need to accept rental assistance provided by the state program. 

How to apply:

  • Both landlords and tenants can fill out the rent relief application at https://housing.ca.gov/ > CA COVID-19 rent relief. 
  • If you live in a city or county that has its own separate rent assistance program, you can apply for rent relief from your local program rather than the state site. If you begin the state application, a link to your local program is available here. Some of these local programs have different terms, such as covering 100% of the rental debt or lower income thresholds. 

 


ACCE Tenant Clinics

ACCE - Statewide

Every Thursday Conducted in English and Spanish, 7:00 PM

Register Here

ACCE - San Diego

Every Friday, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84094794785

Call: +1 (669) 900-6833

Zoom Meeting ID: 840 9479 4785 or One Tap Mobile: +16699006833,,84094794785#

ACCE - Los Angeles

Every Tuesday, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Conducted in Spanish, translated into English

Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88324434157

Call: +1 (669) 900-6833

Zoom Meeting ID: 883 2443 4157, One Tap Mobile: +16699006833,,88324434157#

Every Thursday, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Conducted in English, translated into Spanish

Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86747724443

Call: 1+ (669) 900-9128

Zoom Meeting ID: 867 4772 4443, One Tap Mobile: +16699009128,,86747724443#

ACCE - Sacramento

Every first Thursday of the month, 5:30 PM

Register Here

ACCE - Contra Costa

Every third Wednesday of the month, 6:00 PM

 

Register Here

 

Instagram

@acce_action